UPDATE ONE: Android O’s name has – after much speculation – been confirmed as Android Oreo.
It was revealed at an event in New York tonight.
Android Oreo is available today via Google’s Android Open Source Project.
The install over-the-air (OTA) update will come to Google Pixel and Nexus devices, with a release date soon.
ORIGINAL: Android O – also known as Android 8.0 – has finally been launched, with the big update expected to become available to download today.
Google Pixel and Pixel XL owners will be the first ones to be able to download and update to the latest version of Android.
The newest version of Google’s hugely-successful mobile operating system is landing after months in beta testing.
Google will be unveiling the final version of Android O – and it’s name – during an event in New York City which will be live streamed on the Android website.
It’s been heavily rumoured that Android O could be called Android Oreo or Android Oatmeal Cookie.
An official blog post will also be going live at 7.50pm BST today outlining more information on Android O.
But ahead of the launch, Google have issued a summary of all the big features coming to the latest version of the popular mobile OS.
Here, Express.co.uk rounds up all everything you need to know about big update.
Android O – New features, instant apps, notifications dots
• Picture-in-picture lets you text, browse the web and read emails while watching a YouTube video (or doing a video chat)
• Android Instant Apps gives you access to apps without having to download them.
• Press the notification dots to quickly see what’s new, and easily clear them by swiping away.
• With your permission, Autofill remembers your logins to quickly get you into your favourite apps.
Android O – Security improvements, battery boost, speed upgrade
• Security: Android O is more secure than ever with Google Play Protect, along with your device’s Security status built into Settings front and centre:
– Google Play Protect detects and remove harmful apps ― scanning more than 50 billion apps on 2 billion devices a day.
– Find My Device makes it easy to remote locate, lock, or wipe on your device.
– New app install controls and enhanced privacy protections, plus improved security against potentially harmful apps.
*Google Play Protect is fully enabled on all Android devices running version 4.2 or later
• Speed: With Android O, you can get started on your favourite tasks quicker than ever, with a faster boot speed when powering up….