Man critically wounded in officer-involved shooting in Topeka

A man was critically wounded Thursday morning in East Topeka in what authorities said was an officer-involved shooting.

Witnesses and neighbors responded with outrage and raw emotion soon after the shooting, which occurred around 9:35 a.m. at S.E. 3rd and Lawrence.

Meanwhile, police and other law enforcement officers worked to unravel details surrounding the incident.

Shortly after 1 p.m., police Lt. Colleen Stuart said the Lawrence Police Department would be conducting an investigation into the shooting, as it has done in the past in cases of an officer-involved shooting in Topeka.

Several witnesses alleged the wounded man was unarmed and was told by police to stop before multiple shots rang out at S.E. 3rd and Lawrence, immediately west of Ripley Park. A law enforcement official at the scene said the man had been wounded in the chest.

Around 10:15 a.m., police at the scene said they would hold a briefing later Thursday at the Law Enforcement Center after more information had been gathered, but as of 1:15 p.m., no time had been set.

There was no immediate confirmation from officials on the scene whether a police officer had fired the shot that wounded the man — only that there had been an altercation that started in nearby Ripley Park, immediately east of where the man was wounded.

The police officer involved in the incident was reported uninjured.

Soon after the shooting was reported around 9:35 a.m., dozens of officers from multiple agencies were called to the scene. In addition to the Topeka Police Department, the Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office and the Kansas Highway Patrol responded.

A large, vocal crowd of about 50 people gathered at the scene — many of them on the north side of S.E. 3rd, just west of where the shooting had occurred — but most had dispersed by 10 a.m.

Yellow crime-scene tape was quickly placed around the intersection to keep people back. Officers stood nearly shoulder-to-shoulder just inside the crime scene tape facing the crowd for about 30 minutes after the shooting.

By 11 a.m., the crime scene was expanded to encompass about half of the 200 and 300 blocks of S.E. Lawrence, to the north and south of where the shooting had occurred, and beyond a row of buildings in the Timberlee Apartments complex to the west.

Gerald Anderson posted a graphic, profane video showing a shooting victim lying in the street. The video quickly tallied thousands of views, but the…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *