Apple announced a host of updates and new products at its yearly WWDC developers conference earlier month including a new iPad Pro and HomePod speaker.
Upgrades to the MacBook and iMac ranges were also revealed with these popular machines getting faster processors and improved performance.
However, even if you’re not in the market for new laptop or desktop computer your Mac can still get some new features.
During its keynote, Apple announced a major update to its macOS operating system called High Sierra.
This update brings a swathe of improvements including new core technologies which Apple says will help improve performance.
Other updates include speed improvements to the Safari web browser and an overhaul of the Photos app which is now more accurate and easier to use
macOS Sierra won’t officially launch until the autumn but Mac owners can give it a try right now for free via Apple’s Beta Programme.
Fancy using macOS High Sierra? Here’s some Public Beta Download Tips
• This is beta software that is still in development, which means some applications and services may not work as expected.
• Apple recommends installing macOS High Sierra beta on a secondary Mac.
• Make a back up of your Mac before installing.
• There will be periodic updates to the macOS High Sierra beta, and you will be able to upgrade to the final version of macOS High Sierra when it ships this autumn.
• Use your Mac as you normally would, and if you encounter any issues, use the built-in Feedback Assistant app to report them.
• Visit the macOS Beta Program guide for the latest information about the High Sierra beta and how to submit feedback.
New features in macOS High Sierra
macOS High Sierra builds on everything your Mac can do today, while paving the way for what’s to come.
New technologies at the heart of the system make it more reliable, capable, and responsive—and lay the foundation for future innovations on the Mac. Key updates include:
New Core Technologies
macOS High Sierra includes foundational technologies that have been enhanced to make your Mac more powerful.
It starts with Apple File System, a fast and efficient new file system that manages your content behind the scenes.
HEVC lets you create and enjoy the highest resolution of video while reducing required space by as much as 40 percent. New WebKit technologies make Safari faster, more efficient, and more capable.
And Metal 2 opens the door to next-generation…