School voucher law on hold for now | News

PHOENIX (AP) — Arizona’s ambitious expansion of its school voucher program was officially put on hold Tuesday after opponents filed enough signatures to at least temporarily block the new law.

The filing of more than 111,000 signatures kicks off a weekslong verification process where state and county officials will determine if slightly more than 75,000 valid signatures were collected. If they are certified, the law remains blocked until the November 2018 general election under an Arizona law allowing voters to weigh in on laws passed by the Legislature.

“The supporters of voucher expansion will tell you that this is about choice,” said Beth Lewis, chair of Save Our Schools Arizona, the grassroots group that collected the signatures. “”But so far the only choice that (Senate Bill) 1431 respects is that of out-of-state dark money groups that created it. What about the choice of 111,540 Arizona voters who want to have their say.”

Lewis pointed out that 95 percent of the state’s students attend public schools, either traditional or charters. She said the state woefully underfunds those schools.

The passage of the universal voucher program was a top priority of Republican Gov. Doug Ducey and hailed by the Trump administration and U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.

Ducey’s office issued a statement saying vouchers have helped thousands of families, many with special needs, find an education that works best for their children.

“We expanded the program so that even more families could take advantage of its benefits. It is unfortunate that there are some who want to halt its success. Every child should have every avenue available to them to attend the school best fit to their needs,” the statement said.

Arizona first passed a voucher program, technically called Empowerment Scholarship Accounts, for disabled students in 2011. It now covers a third of all students, including children attending failing schools, those living on Indian reservations, foster children and children of military members. Despite those changes, only about 3,500 students now use it to pay for private school tuition, and more than half are disabled.

The new expansion would go into effect for the fall semester if opponents fall short during the signature validation process. It expands eligibility to all students by 2022, but it caps enrollment…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *